Sunday, April 15, 2007

The Other End of the Spectrum

Recently I've mentioned a few stores that are worthy of note not only for the products they carry, but also for the design of the space they use. All of them are highly polished, and despite their contrivance, they feel like places I'd like to visit in Real Life. In fact, they feel like places I have visited in RL.

On a whim, I decided to re-check out Unpopular Designs, run by Gabby Lime. Unpop is the origin of both my avi's glasses and my all-time favorite skirt, and I really like the unpredictably eclectic selection of clothes and accessories. While I was there I ran into Gabby, and she pointed me to her other shop, Tacky Shit.

Oh wow. Ms. Lime is a master of prim-work, but that's not what makes Tacky Shit amazing. Prim-wise, it's beyond simple. It's the textures that are frightening. Stepping into the building made me feel like stepping into a Neil Gaiman short story. The hand-drawn (scribbled might be a better word) doodles on notebook paper which make the walls and floor show more life than any Photoshopped version of reality. And looking out the front window is like looking upon the world not just through a child's eyes, but from his mind. Everything about the place takes me to the edge of... something, I'm not sure what. And I stare down into that depth without ever quite being pushed over, but wanting to be, all the same.

It makes me think that perhaps too much of Second Life tries to emulate our First ones.

3 comments:

Coyote said...

Some aspect of the wall art at Tacky Shit -- the grotesque stylings, if you will -- reminded me of the ink-and-charcoal works of Francesco Clemente (some of which were shown at the Guggenheim a few years back). For example, this, though I am thinking of more schematic works. I don't know if the SL artist would find that a happy comparison or not.

gabby said...

i'm just a doodler at heart. thanks for the ace review! i'm glad at least somebody likes my stuff. i'm thinking of getting back in the biz soon, so expect some new products.

if you want to know anything else, feel free to IM me inworld!

Coyote said...

I'd say you've qualified for Not-a-Meme #16 without even trying :-)