Monday, April 9, 2007

Aly Revealed

Vint Falken has posted Not-A-Meme challenge #13, and as my friend Coyote so cleverly intuited, it is one that catches my attention. It's a two part challenge; the first part is to reveal something about my second self, and the second part is to reveal something about my first self. It's a very yin-yang sort of thing.

This assumes, of course, that there is a difference between the two. I sometimes wonder. Are we not but two faces on that which is Aly? My first life shapes my second. For example, I usually wear glasses in both. Though my Avatar presumably has 20/20 vision, she dons spectacles also in an expression of solidarity with her RL counterpart. And of course, my second life seems to shape my first, if by no other means than the sleep that I am deprived by my avi hanging around the Shelter until the wee hours. We are linked.

But distinct. I sometimes refer to my avatar in the 3rd person, as it is natural to do using the "/me" feature in chat. Speaking this way is not something I do in real life. Alyia dares to wear clothes that I would not. Some of her skirts are a tad shorter than I'd be comfortable walking around in, and exploring the world in high heels is definitely not something I'd do on a regular basis. She just makes it soooo effortless. Alyia's a graceful dancer and has better hair.

So what is a secret about this Alyia Coanda, a girl whose self proclaimed mission is to explore her world? She owns a motorcycle. I suppose this isn't a secret to some people, as apparently I've become a t-shirt posterchild for catsuit coolness.* But it's not something I generally tell people.

It's not that there's anything wrong with it. People buy things all the time, and this really is no different. I've even been assured that it is a beautiful bike and that she looks, well, damn good on it. The reasoning for the purchase was arguably legitimate: I bought it as a means to explore large areas of SL (though this hasn't worked terribly well due to the laggy nature of many sims). So neither I nor Alyia have reason to be embarrassed. Except that it is so ridiculously indulgent since I can simply fly and teleport where ever I want. But so can everyone else. Not everyone rides a cool black motorcycle around Second Life.

Admittedly, I bought the bike to look cool while I explore.

As for my First Life? This, as others who have taken the challenge have noted, is perhaps more difficult. For me the challenge doesn't really come out of some desire to be someone other than who I am. I wouldn't say that I necessarily try to keep my second and first lives separate; I'll respond to most questions if asked. The challenge is that I have a hard time believing that anything about my first life would be remotely interesting to anyone.

The most interesting thing about myself that I can think of is that I am full of contradictions, and that I relish them. Watch out. I am shy, but a shameless flirt. Other people annoy me, but I dislike being alone. I walk innocently, but my thoughts play in the gutter. I love the person I am, but I'm never satisfied with what I have become. Like a cat I reserve the right to change my mind a thousand times.

I don't think of myself as confused. Rather, I am right at home.

*Ask Coyote Pace.

2 comments:

Coyote said...

What I really wanted was a ride on the back -- but all I got was this rockin' T-shirt.

Coyote said...

"Other people annoy me..."

Aha!

"...but I dislike being alone"

That's more of a conundrum than a contradiction. Well, that's a good thing about SL, I guess: you're always the one that gets to choose when to call it a night and go home.