Thursday, March 8, 2007

A New Discovery...

I visited The Lost Gardens of Apollo upon the recommendation of a friend, and it is another delightful find. It's exquisitely constructed in a sort of Persian style natural garden rather than Hellenistic as the name would imply (but it's not an important detail). The craftsmanship here is top notch and is definitely a place you could relax, reflect, or carry on a quiet conversation. There's a good mix of public and semi-private spaces, which leaves open the possibility (or not) for interactions with other people.

Wandering around the island, I began to wonder about the notion of personal space as it exists here in SL. I encountered others, and unless I was talking to them, I noticed that I kept my distance, as much out of social habit, I guess, as anything else. But how close is too close, I wonder?

Does our need for personal space derive from our need for emotional spaces? There seems to be a connection. I know that when I want mental quiet, I gravitate towards those places that are less likely to be full of people, places where I won't be intruded upon.

It would be an interesting experiment to just go up to random people and park your avatar right next to theirs and see their reaction.

No comments: